Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Accessibility For All



Accessibility is the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both "direct access" (i.e. unassisted) and "indirect access" meaning compatibility with a person's assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers).

Shouldn’t everyone have the right to go where they wish? Well of course the answer should be yes. However, when a facility (i.e. restaurant, store, theatre) isn’t wheelchair accessible that’s like saying to someone with mobility issues “You can’t come in, go back home”. This it totally unacceptable. This is 2016!

I decided to start this blog because I am frustrated with facing obstacles when it comes to inaccessibility. I should not have to rearrange or miss out on plans totally because I can’t get in somewhere. It’s a burden no one should not have to bare!

I also want to disprove the myth that just because I am in a wheelchair, that doesn’t mean I don’t go out or I don’t like to have fun. I am tired of getting asked “Oh are you going to the doctor too?”.




No comments:

Post a Comment