Saturday, February 6, 2016

The Place To Stay

Another thing you have to think about very carefully when you travel is which hotel is the best one to stay in. Again you will need to do your research. It is best to call and see if they have accessible rooms because they aren't always advertised on the website. You also need to remember that not everyone's idea of accessibility is the same.

Over Christmas my family and I travelled to Scotland We were excited to experience the different customs and traditions of another country.

We stayed at the Premier Inn by George Square in Glasgow. Once we got there we realized that there was a little elevator for people with mobility issues or families with children in strollers. It was a little tricky to get in to because the sidewalk going up to the elevator was sloped. Once you got to the elevator the ground was flat but then you had to back up because the door opened outwards. I could not do it without help. Once in the hotel, there were elevators up to the rooms. When I went in to the room, I was pleasantly surprised. This was the most accessible room I have ever been in. There were cubbie shelves that were nice and low for me to put my clothes in. There was an emergency cord by the bed in case I needed assistance while I was alone.

As impressive as that was, the bathroom impressed me the most. The mirror by the sink was really low so I could actually see myself in the mirror. This has never happened. I have always needed to go to the mirror in the hall of the room to see myself. Another emergency cord was in the bathroom. There were grab bars EVERYWHERE! I felt extremely safe. There were even grab bars to get in and out of the bathtub. As well as the grab bars on the bathtub, there was a wide ledge I could transfer to so I could slide in to the bath. For the first time ever in my life I could get in and out of the bathtub myself without any assistance.

I would never be afraid to go to Scotland myself!






No comments:

Post a Comment